call us on: 44 (0)131 529 3183
- Category: partners
- Published on Friday, 13 May 2011 18:19
- Written by Super User
The City of Edinburgh Council is one of 32 local authorities in Scotland, responsible for the capital city and seat of the Scottish Parliament with a growing population of 477,000 (approx 10% of Scottish total) and the driving force of the Scottish economy. The project is managed by the Economic Development Unit of the Council’s City Development Department, as part of its remit to promote and sustain the economic prosperity of the city.
Contribution to the Open Innovation Project
As well as being lead partner for the transnational project, responsible for coordinating activities across nine partner regions in North West Europe to promote Open Innovation, the Council is also:
- Coordinating a local programme of initiatives aimed at companies, entrepreneurs, inventors, universities, academics and local communities.
- Complimenting the existing business support infrastructure with new Open Innovation tools, resources and training to build the competitiveness of SMEs.
- Exploring opportunities to engage with social enterprise in project activity.
- Promoting a collaborative approach to innovation within and across key growth sectors of the local economy.
- Building productive and sustainable collaboration with national and larger corporate stake-holders.
- Supporting an Edinburgh technology festival aiming to become Europe’s leading launchpad for Open Innovation technology.
- Supporting the creative and other innovative sectors to turn ideas into flourishing enterprises.
Events and activities
- Open Innovation Project Closing Showcase: March 2015
- Open Innovation Toolkit: September 2014
- Unlock New Markets and Drive New Growth : August-November 2014
- Co-Creation Evening: March 2014
- Edinburgh Apps Final: November 2013
- The Turing Festival 2013: August 2013
- Citrus Saturday Edinburgh: April 2013
- Summerhall Co-Creation Evening: February 2012
- The Turing Festival 2012: August 2012
- Citrus Saturday Edinburgh: April 2012
- The Open Innovation Imperative: January 2012
- The Turing Festival 2011: August 2011
For further information:
Here are some examples of how businesses in Edinburgh are using open innovation to develop new services, products and markets.